Friday, April 30, 2010
Mayweather vs. Mosley.. Who are you picking?
--Top Celebrities, Athletes, Boxers and Trainers Weigh In--
LAS VEGAS, NV (April 30)...Some of the most recognized boxing fans in the world are weighing in on the match-up between undefeated six-time world champion Floyd "Money" Mayweather and WBA Welterweight Super Champion Sugar Shane Mosley, who are set to meet in Mayweather vs. Mosley: Who R U Picking? on Saturday, May 1 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas in a mega-bout which will be produced and distributed live on HBO Pay-Per-View® beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.
From real estate moguls to NFL Pro-Bowlers, NBA All-Stars to Hall of Fame fighters and trainers, we have their opinions on who they believe will emerge victorious this Saturday. Below please find the predictions of these prominent personalities as they lend their thoughts on this historic match-up.
"I'm picking Mayweather. Although I think they are both champions and I'm really looking forward to the fight!"
- Donald Trump, Chairman and CEO of The Trump Organization, host of NBC reality-series The Apprentice
"Some people fight with their fists, some people fight with their mouths...May 1st FIST meets Mouth. Sugar Shane by knockout!"
- George Lopez, comedian and host of Lopez Tonight!
"I am a fan of BOTH of these amazing fighters, but in boxing, there can only be ONE TRUE winner. So if I had to bet the farm on it..."Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather is going to win. Sorry Sugar, but not this time."
- Tichina Arnold, actress, "Everybody Hates Chris"
"I give the edge to Mayweather. How can I not based on his unblemished record? Mayweather is the man to beat and if there were any fighters that I thought had a chance to beat Floyd Mayweather, one would be Shane Mosley. We will find out on May 1st. One thing I personally know is that Shane has to become "Sugar" again to become victorious. Intriguing fight."
- Sugar Ray Leonard, Seven-Time World Champion
"This fight will be a real welterweight contest. Mosley can win if he is capable of closing Floyd's [Mayweather] exits and using his speed along with his power."
- Juan Manuel "Dinamita" Marquez, WBA, WBO and The Ring Magazine Lightweight World Champion
"I'm for Shane Mosley...He must do the right preparation. If he does, then he has a very good chance against Mayweather."
- Manny "Pac-Man" Pacquiao, WBO Welterweight World Champion
"Shane's my friend and I hope he wins, but he has trouble with speed and movement and likes guys to come to him so it's going to be difficult."
- Freddie Roach, Trainer of Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan
"This is a very interesting fight. Mayweather will have his toughest fight yet against Mosley, who came up the ranks and fought every tough Mexican. When Mayweather covers up and brings his right hand up, Mosley is going to hit him with left hooks to the liver. He'll go under the elbow. This is a tough, tough fight, and a great fight. I'm looking forward to it. Mayweather is going to really have to hustle because Mosley is at the top of this game. Mayweather has to fight his best fight ever, because Mosley's stronger, more mature than anyone Mayweather has ever faced. While Mayweather is truly a one of a kind fighter, I would have to give the edge to Mosley by decision."
- Angelo Dundee, Hall of Fame Trainer of Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard and George Foreman
"Magic votes for Floyd all the way!"
- Magic Johnson, Five-Time NBA Champion, Three-Time NBA MVP, Twelve-Time NBA All-Star, Three-Time NBA Finals MVP
"Mayweather in a decision. He [Mayweather] is a smaller guy who can dance. Mosley can't let him hit him."
- Charles Barkley, 11-Time NBA All-Star and TNT/NBA TV basketball analyst
"Mayweather in a unanimous decision. Mayweather will knock down Shane once but Mosley will be his toughest fight to date. Mayweather is the best boxer this world has seen in 20 years so he'll win."
- Chris Webber, Five-Time NBA All-Star and TNT/NBA TV basketball analyst
"Mayweather KO in the 9th. He is in his prime and blazing it right now. I see his strength, speed and endurance being just too much for Mosley. Mayweather is a beast!"
- Caron Butler, Two-Time NBA All-Star Forward, Dallas Mavericks
"Shane has a great chance. I will predict a victory. He has a great chin, and he's the type of fighter who can give Floyd problems, with the pressure and the discipline, and he still has the quickness. So it's going to be a great fight."
- LaDainian Tomlinson, Five-Time NFL Pro Bowler, 2006 NFL MVP, Running Back, New York Jets
"I need to hold one of them belts and walk in the ring with Money May on May 1st. No way I am missing this one."
- Chad Ochocinco, Six-Time NFL Pro Bowler, Wide Receiver, Cincinnati Bengals
"I want Mosley to win but I really have no clue. Floyd is a badass and will be tough to beat."
- Jared Allen, Three-Time NFL Pro Bowler, Defensive End, Minnesota Vikings
"Money Mayweather is going to get Mosley in the 10th round by TKO. Mayweather's the best fighter around right now, at least until someone can prove otherwise by beating him."
- Shawne Merriman, Three-Time NFL Pro Bowler, 2005 AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, Linebacker, San Diego Chargers
"I think that Mayweather is going to win in eight rounds. Mayweather is 40-0 for a reason. He's got youth behind him and he's just too quick for Mosley."
- Patrick Willis, Two-Time NFL Pro-Bowler, 2007 AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, Linebacker, San Francisco 49ers
"I think Mayweather's going to win versus Mosley. Floyd is way more athletic and technically sound than anyone else in boxing right now."
- Kellen Winslow II, NFL Pro-Bowler, Tight End, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
"I'm calling a 7th round knockout and Mayweather wins"
- Shaun Phillips, Defensive End, San Diego Chargers
"Mayweather is the master of not getting hit. His quickness and defense will be too much for Shane to match."
- B.J. Upton, Center Fielder, Tampa Bay Rays
"Shane Mosley will win, because Orlando Hudson picked Mayweather and he also picked Roy Jones in the last fight and was way off!"
- Justin Morneau, Three-Time MLB All-Star, First Baseman, Minnesota Twins
"Mayweather will take it. He's undefeated so he must be doing something right."
- Justin Verlander, Two-Time MLB All-Star, Pitcher, Detroit Tigers