Friday, April 9, 2010

If He Hits You, Leave Him!


It's been a while since I've posted any opinion pieces here.  In all honesty, between making the transition from basketball to baseball and working on my golf game, I simply haven't had the time. 

Speaking of time, I really don't have much currently, but there's something that's been bothering me lately, and I feel as if this is as good a place as any to get something of my chest.  And please forgive me if I get worked up while typing this post and use a few choice words.  OK, here goes.

Ladies, if your man has ever hit you or continues to put his hands on you, LEAVE HIS ASS RIGHT NOW!

The recent claims of actress Stacey Dash that her soon-to-be ex-husband repeatedly beat her reminded me of a conversation I had recently with a friend of mine.  I had learned that her current boyfriend had beaten her up not too long ago--so much so, that she had bruises.

The more she told me, the angrier I got; not only at the poor excuse for a man who hit her, but I was perhaps even more upset (disappointed) at her.  Why didn't she leave him immediately?  Why didn't she report it to the police?  Why does she continue to stay with him?  Why does she continue to defend him and his actions?

I just don't understand why so many women continue to put themselves in harm's way when it comes to abusive men.  And don't give me that "But he loves" shit.  That's the worst of cop-outs.  One of the most famous and accurate statements on love came during Boomerang when Halle Berry said, "Love should have brought your ass home last night." 

Can someone please tell me where it's been said that "Love makes you want to smack a bitch?"  I must have missed that movie or hip-hop video.  However, if women continue to allow men to put their hands on them and not report these punks to the police, that's basically what they are giving men permission to do.

Come on, ladies.  Snap out of it.  Don't allow yourself to be a victim of domestic violence.  You are too precious to be treated like trash, something a real man already knows!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put Mike.