Thursday, August 28, 2008

McCain Congratulates Obama In TV Ad

I just witnessed something so rare in modern American politics that I could barely believe my eyes.

A new John McCain television ad features the Arizona Senator actually congratulating Barack Obama on his historical nomination. McCain even referred to the anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech, which took place on this day 45 years ago without actually mentioning it by name. As I said, he "referred" to it.

But nonetheless, I thought the ad was actually heartfelt and sincere. McCain actually seemed genuine in his congratulations, and for the first time since his campaign started, I felt as if he was speaking from his own heart, instead of the notepad from one of his advisors.

But don't expect this type of civility to continue. As McCain, himself, said in the ad, "Tomorrow, we will be back at it."

No comments: