Welcome to the LA Superior Courthouse Jury Assembly Room in Torrance. That is where I sit as I type this post. I was called Tuesday to serve after postponing a previous requirement. With my schedule, it's really hard to predict when a week in the future will be better or worse than another. So, thus, here I sit.
We are at lunch right now as jury selection continues. If I am not called to serve on this particular trial, my service will be completed. Wish me luck!
I'm trying to use this time to prepare for tonight's Lakers/Suns game. Regardless of what happens here at LA Superior Court, I will be working courtside tonight at Staples Center.
As I do my normal research, I stumbled across a few tidbits I thought I would share with you.
I know several Lakers fans will be disappointed not to see Shaq in the house tonight. After last night's 35-point performance against the Bucks, he left Phoenix bound for New Jersey to attend the funeral services of his 92-year old great-grandmother. My condolences go out to Shaq and his family.
Speaking of Phoenix, check out this excerpt from an article by Diane Pucin of the Los Angeles Times: "The NBA is going to announce today that it will present its All-Star Saturday night program of the slam dunk contest, three-point shooting contest and skill challenge in a three-dimensional format at 80 movie theaters around the country Feb. 14. 'This is about embracing new technology and being innovative,' said David Levy, president of Turner Broadcasting Sales Inc. and Turner Sports. Levy said he is not concerned that the theater showing would negatively affect television ratings on TNT. 'We're aiming at the Saturday night moviegoer,' Levy said. 'And we'll be able to do things with the 3-D cameras that we wouldn't normally be able to do with a live game.'"
Is it just me or do you think we are getting closer and closer to having technologically-manipulated sports games and leagues? Guys sitting at home on their couches calling plays and substitutions through their Xbox3600 or PS30? Ok, well, that might be a stretch, but you feel me, right?
We often view owners of sports teams as money-grubbing old men who don't give a damn about the fans. They only want their money, and are unwilling to go the extra mile to earn the fans trust and respect. At times, that feeling is spot on.
However, that's not always the case as Mark McLane of Black Jesus Disciples explains: "Years ago, I worked for The Home Depot. A coworker of mine was an older gentleman whose retirement hadn't quite stuck the way he hoped. Bored out of his mind sitting around the house, he decided to don a hideous orange apron and make some extra dough while keeping himself busy. Every once in a while, we'd talk Suns basketball (this was during Nash's first MVP season) and while knowledgeable, he admittedly didn't follow the team all that closely any more, and didn't plan to despite my pleas and the Suns incredibly entertaining brand of basketball. The reasons cited were your standard, run of the mill cultural differences, getting too old, that kind of thing. Except the last one he gave. Jerry Colangelo no longer ran the show. It turns out my friend was once a Suns season ticket holder and had been for a number of years. 1988 rolled around and due to a rough economic spot in his life, he and his wife were forced to cancel their season tickets. They made the necessary calls and were soon no longer Suns season ticket holders. Finishing up dinner one night not long after canceling their season tickets, there was a knock at the door. My friend answered to find Jerry Colangelo, donning a three piece suit, hoping to discuss what brought on the cancellation of their season tickets and how he could bring them back into the fold. Colangelo had a cup of coffee, made his pitch, thanked them for their time and continued support of the Phoenix Suns, and went on his way, leaving behind a couple of renewed season ticket holders."
Could anyone imagine Donald Sterling making such a trip? Probably not, but I could totally see Arte Moreno doing it.
And last but not least, you HAVE to read this NY Times article about the oldest college basketball player in the country. I'll give you a little hint, he's old enough to be your grandfather. So much for using the "old" excuse as a reason for no longer balling!
Showing posts with label Donald Sterling. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Donald Sterling. Show all posts
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Jury Duty Musings
Labels:
Arte Moreno,
Donald Sterling,
Jerry Colangelo,
NBA,
Shaquille O'Neal
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
No One Is Putting Blame On Sterling's Shoulders

Mark Heisler wrote a column for today's LA Times basically echoing my earlier post here about Clippers Owner Donald Sterling not being responsible for the departure of Elton Brand. JA Adande also posted a similar take on espn.com.
But I will say this: if bad things keep happening to you, maybe it's something you are doing elsewhere that is leading to such bad luck. The Clippers have been notoriously frugal in their spending habits when it comes to coaches, players, front office personnel, and staff-- although the salaries for the coaches and players have gone up exponentially as of late. But sometimes, it takes a long time to live down your reputation.
But at least Mr. Sterling is trying!
Mark Heisler, LA Times
Gee, why do these things keep happening to the Clippers?
I know what you're thinking, but they didn't lose Elton Brand because owner Donald T. Sterling couldn't be reached or wouldn't come up with the money.
It looks as if they lost Brand because he wanted out, which came as a shock since he always seemed true Clippers red, white and blue.
On the other hand, Brand was a Clipper for seven seasons so even if it was the best time in their history, think how many bad days he saw as opposed to good days.
Click here to see what JA Adande wrote on espn.com:
Labels:
basketball,
Clippers,
contracts,
Corey Maggette,
Donald Sterling,
Elton Brand,
free agents,
NBA
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
First Brand, Now Maggette

Quoting Chris Rock's character, "Bony T" in Boomerang, "First the Fat Boys break up, and now this!" Jonathan Abrams of the LA Times is reporting that in addition to losing Elton Brand to a surprise deal with the 76ers, Corey Maggette has agreed to a contact with the Golden State Warriors.
Recently, I had written how significant of a move it was for the Clippers to lure Baron Davis to Los Angeles, saying "Moves like this one don't usually happen for the Clippers. They happen to the Clippers. " And now it seems like it's deja vu all over again for Donald Sterling and company.
Call it karma, bad luck, or fate. The Clippers just can't seem to ever catch a break. And I mean ever!
From Danny Manning and Larry Brown to Shaun Livingston and Elton Brand, if something can go wrong for the Clippers it usually does. In the past, most of the misfortunes were the results of the organization's own mistakes. However, I don't think you can say that about this latest debacle.
Mike Dunleavy and Elgin Baylor were working under the belief that once they landed Davis, EB would agree to accept less money to play alongside Davis. They believed that because that's what sources tell me they were told by Brand and his agent, David Falk. Why would they think EB would go back on his word? He's never done it before.
However, when it comes to contract negotiations-- in sports or otherwise-- a deal is never done until it's done. But looking back on this latest episode of 'Damn, not again!', could this have happened to anyone but the Clippers?
Labels:
basketball,
Clippers,
contracts,
Corey Maggette,
Donald Sterling,
Elgin Baylor,
Elton Brand,
free agents,
Mike Dunleavy,
NBA
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Clippers Lure Baron Davis To LA, Hope Elton Brand Stays

In his obviously predetermined post-game interview outburst at the NBA Finals, Kevin Garnett shouted, "Anything is possible!" Something I've always believed, long before Adidas started using it to sell shoes. And if you ever needed further proof of that idea, all you had to do was hear the news of the Clippers agreeing to a free agent contract with Baron Davis.
Let's be real. Moves like this one don't usually happen for the Clippers. They happen to the Clippers. To put it simply, this is the biggest free agent coup in the history of the Donald T. Sterling era. Davis is a bonafide star in the NBA, a proven playoff performer, and someone who gives the Clippers more than just hope, but an actual chance to do great things.
However, that chance is only possible if Elton Brand re-signs with the Clippers, which was a foregone conclusion once Davis agreed to come on board. That was until the Warriors, fresh with new cap space, threw a max deal offer towards EB. Say what you will about Brand should do, but have you ever had to make a decision that would mean walking away from $20 million?
I have not talked to EB since the Warriors offered him $90 million, but those who have spoken to him recently believe he will remain with the Clippers, and so do I. Not only does he have several interests off the floor here in Los Angeles, but he and his wife Shahara are expecting their first child shortly. So with a fresh baby room awaiting its first tenant, it would be hard for Daddy Brand to bolt town for the Bay Area, don't you think?
UPDATE: You should expect some type of definite answer from Brand in the next 24-48 hours. And from what I'm hearing, EB will re-sign with the Clippers for all the reasons I mentioned above and for another one. Next season's salary cap is expected to be $59 million. If that is indeed the case, the Clippers could actually offer Brand a contract possibly in the $80-85 million range, which would be much closer to the Warriors offer of around $90 million. And don't forget, the Clippers are the only team that can offer Brand a 6-year deal. The maximum contract length available to everyone else is only five years. If you remember, that extra year was one of the main reasons Kobe Bryant stayed with the Lakers several years ago instead of jumping ship to the Clippers.
Labels:
Baron Davis,
Clippers,
Donald Sterling,
Elton Brand,
NBA
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)