Monday, April 13, 2009

Broadcast Legend Harry Kalas Passes Away


We often use the term "legend" a bit too loosely in sports, but that word may actually fall short of describing the longtime voice of Philadelphia sports, Harry Kalas.

While there may be no perfect way to die, how fitting is it that Kalas spent his last moments in a broadcast booth?

Here's the Associated Press story on his passing.

WASHINGTON (AP) - Longtime Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has died at age 73.

Team president David Montgomery announced the death Monday a short time after Kalas passed out in the broadcast booth before a game in Washington against the Nationals.

Montgomery's voice was cracking as he said that "we have lost our voice."

Kalas had been with the Phillies since 1971 and was known for his distinctive "Outta here!" home run call.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Four months ago I took my Dad to a dinner locally where Harry Kalas was interviewed. After the dinner we had a chance to talk with him and I can honestly say that, even as a Hall of Famer, he was one of the most genuine persons I had ever met. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and the Philadelphia Phillies organization. As I sit here tonight I can (and will always) hear him say "It's outta here! Home Run!" Thanks Harry for a lifetime of memories.....