Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A-Rod Admits Steroid Use


Like many of you, I'm sure, I was not surprised to hear that Alex Rodriguez had tested positive for steroid use. However, I was really surprised that he came out and admitted it.

Monday morning, while appearing on AM 830 KLAA, I said I did not think he would come clean and admit that he used performance-enhancing drugs. From my limited dealings with him, I thought he would be Mr. Deny all night long.

And why not? It has been the standard operating procedure for so many athletes when it comes to steroid use.

As I have said before, I don't really care whether athletes use any type of performance-enhancing substance. In the grand scheme of things, sports records aren't really that big of deal. Their sole purpose of existing is so sportswriters--and now, fans--can make an argument on who the best player of all-time is. So records have really never meant that much to me.

I mean, they are cool, and the pursuit of them makes for great theatre. But I have never lost any sleep or gotten into an argument over who the real baseball home run king is. And I doubt--and hope--I ever will.

The only issue I have with the use of performance-enhancers is the impression is leaves with young kids. They believe in order to be like their sporting heroes they have to depend on steroids--instead of hard work and their natural ability.

But I will give A-Rod some credit. When so many people tend to not take responsibility for their actions, he was willing to do so. However, I'm only giving him a little bit of credit. After all, he didn't really have too much choice. There was hard physical evidence, plus the confirmation by at least three people who had knowledge of said evidence.

Trying to keep up a denial of such monumental proportions would have been nearly impossible and extremely laughable. He would have become a joke around the league.

It's going to be hard enough to live down the nickname "A-Fraud" as it is.

No comments: