Monday, January 19, 2009

First Day In DC

I must first apologize for such a late posting, but between walking around our nation's capital and getting in and out of so many different airports, I simply have had enough time to tell you about my experiences at the 56th Presidential Inauguration. But without any further delay, here goes!

Upon getting off the plane at Dulles International Airport, there is an obvious feeling of excitement in the air. It's not as if every person traveling is headed to the National Mall, but it sure seems like it.

I'm not sure if I have ever seen so many smiling faces at an airport, especially one as busy as Dulles.

One surprising thing about the airport experience was the short cab lines. In the days leading up to my departure, I heard and read so many fears about the mad rush of people at the area airports. Dulles was immune to such worries. Crystal and I walked straight from the baggage claim to the backseat of a Washington Flyer taxi.

Washington, DC, here we come.

I have flown into Dulles several times in the past, meaning I have a pretty good idea of how long and how much cab fare it will take to get into the city. Well, that previous experience did not apply today.

In addition to a major bridge closure, city traffic was also affected by the "We Are One" concert at the Lincoln Memorial. By the time we made it near the city center, the concert was ending. And you know what the means: hundreds of thousands of people walking.. everywhere!

Intersections became parking lots as pedestrians took advantage of the congestion to make their own crosswalk rules. Although we ended up sitting in the back of that cab for about 2 hours, I really wasn't mad at the people adding to our commute. I was more mad that we didn't arrive in time to join them at the concert. Thank God for dvr!

After a much needed rest at the hotel, we met some of my good friends out for dinner at Neyla in Georgetown. This neighborhood is my favorite in DC, something I share with most people, I'm sure. In addition to the tasty restaurants and chic shopping, there's just so much history in Georgetown. Even if you aren't exactly familiar with that history, you know it's there. It's a comfortable feeling.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Following dinner, it was off to the Newseum near the National Mall for a HBO-sponsored party.

(Editor's Note: I've only been in the city for a few hours, and here I am already crashing a party. It's all about who you know, and oftentimes, who they know. This is where knowing Dr. Ian Smith and Stephanie Elam comes in real handy. And for those of you looking to crash any type of party in the future, one hint: Always keep moving!)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The party was held at the same place where CNN did the majority of its reporting on the Inauguration festivities. This is definitely a place I would want to come back and visit sometime. For anyone interested in media, it is a must-stop! Plus, you can get some great shots of the Capitol Building.

HBO threw a pretty nice gig. Nothing spectacular, but there was free food and booze--two staples of a successful party.

But after making a few new friends and running into some old ones, it was time to hit the bed, as Monday would be all about securing Inauguration tickets!!

No comments: