Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Conversation with Angels Outfielder Garret Anderson


From the time I first arrived in LA, I was told by just about everybody that Garret Anderson hated the media and didn't seem to care too much about what happened on the field since he never showed any emotion. But I have found quite the contrary. He won't go out of his way to give you an interview, but he doesn't exactly run from the media either. And although, he's not as emotional as some other players on the field, no one cares more about winning and losing than Garret Anderson.


Garret, you put together the best single game performance in baseball this year when you drove in 10 runs against the Yankees. You have had some time now to think about it. Do you think that moment will define your career with the Angels?

No. I think being here for 13 years, the World Series, playing everyday and showing up, and being in this organization will probably define me a little bit more than one night. Playing here all these years is something that really sticks with me.

You could make a strong argument that you are “Mr. Angel.” You’ve played more games, you’ve got more hits, rbi, doubles, total bases, the longest hit streak, more grand slams. You own pretty much every record in the books with the Angels.

Yeah, I do, but I think my former teammate Tim Salmon probably has that title because he was the first one. He was the first guy to come through the system. I have respect for that. They can call him Mr. Angel, but they will know what I did on the field as well.

You talk about Tim and you look at yourself as well. It’s very rare nowadays in Major League Baseball for a player to be drafted by a team, come up through the minor leagues and play his entire career for that team. You are on path to do that with the Angels. That is a rarity to say the least.

Yeah, it is a rarity. It takes an effort on both sides. They made it possible for me to stay here. I have nothing but thanks for the people in the front office.

There’s a common misconception that Garret Anderson is very serious and he doesn’t laugh. But talking to some of your teammates, they say you are one of the funniest guys on the team. Are you just sly with the humor or is it just for certain people?

You know what? People only see me on the field. I had a talk with some reporters about it. What it boils down to is that win or lose, I never want the other team to know what I feel on the inside. Meaning that I don’t want to let them know if they got the best of me. And if I do something well-- like I did a while ago against the Yankees-- I don’t ever want them to think I’m showing them up. So, I’m going to be a professional. And what you see on the field is my interpretation of a professional. I have fun playing like everybody else. I enjoy coming out to the park, and I enjoy being silly with my teammates. They are true when they say that. I have a good time. You have to laugh in this game. We have so much failure, but on the field it’s going to be business.
Free Image Hosting
(Courtesy: LA Times)

One thing you’ve definitely been in your career is a professional. There’s no question about that. Let’s play a little “What’s In.” What’s in the Ipod?

Carl Thomas. He has new cd out. I’ve been listening to it quite a bit.

What’s in the DVD player?

The last movie I watched was “Breach.”

What’s in your travel bag when you hit the road?

Ipod. Portable dvd player. A couple of books.

Is it the same for every trip?

It pretty much stays the same. I keep the same things in there. I have a PSP in there. I’m playing Tiger Woods golf right now. And whatever book I may be reading at the time.

What’s in the garage?

I have a 1968 Pontiac Firebird that I restored. My mother-in-law gave it to me. I’ve run the gamut with cars. I get a free car from Toyota of Orange, and I just drive that right now.

What’s in your wildest dreams?

I can’t wait to see my 3 kids grow up and see what they get into with their lives. Something that’s a part of me living in this world. I’m hoping I can just mold them in the direction to go out and do something positive in their lives.

No comments: